
I have a new obsession for a genre. Thank you Caitlin's father. One artist in particular though...Loreena McKennitt. This woman can SING. Holy macaroni, can she! The music is so different and so cool. I LOVE this stuff. I love the kind of music that is just SO different and so strange but it's SO beautiful. So, that's what I am in the process of doing...making a playlist for Celtic music...mostly Loreena. It will be posted shortly. If you don't like it, you have a volume button and the power to stop the music by clicking pause on the playlist. But that's what's going up for a while. Now all I have to do is somehow get my paws on her CD(s). I looked in Target but they didn't have it. I didn't think they would. This is the type of music you have to buy online or in special stores.
What is Celtic music?
Celtic music. Fanciful term which expresses a world-view or record-shelf category rather than actual links between music genres.
1. Indicates 'Irish' or 'Scottish' musics, but is increasingly used in Britain and the US to denote 'Irish', this suggesting discomfort with 'Irishness'. In Europe it may denote Breton or Galician music in addition to Irish, Scottish and Welsh. The music of Brittany is different to Irish music, but is within the playing and listening experience of many Irish traditional musicians. Isle of Man, England and Wales are connected cultures, but Scotland has particularly strong linguistic and music links with Ireland, as has the Scots-Irish diaspora in Canada (Cape Breton, Newfoundland, etc.)
2. More superficially the term 'Celtic' has come to apply to an easy-listening, 'mood' music with dreamy, non-specific but Irish/Scots flavour, marketed as 'relaxing', 'evocative', etc. Such albums are legion, and enjoy a large sale in the US where the Narada company produces many compilation and re-licensed collections—including the playing of such as Máire Ní Chathasaigh, John Whelan and Joanie Madden—while the Mercury label's 'Secret Garden' features Davy Spillane. Traditional players sometimes use the term also, probably to appeal to the pre-formed audience. (Seán O'Driscoll's solo album is titled Celtic Music, Shanachie's 90 per cent Irish song collection is Celtic Love Songs, Green Linnet's, with similar composition, is Celtic Women in Music and Song), but few players would describe themselves as playing anything other than 'traditional' or 'Irish' music. (http://www.standingstones.com/celtmusic.html)
So there ya go. I hope you like it too. It IS different but that's what I love about it. I included a picture of Loreena. She's Canadian but doesn't she scream Irish?
Kaitlin <3



10 comments:
I love her music too! I once wrote a paper on one of her songs in high school, Dante's Prayer. It is amazing. I'm so excited you like her!
You had to write a paper on that? eish.
I enjoy alot of Celtic music. Glad you were introduced to it. Like any genre, it has its "stinkers" but for the most part, it's enjoyable to listen to. At least for me :)
Wow! That IS pretty music. I likey! Thanks for introducing it to me (I might have to steal, um...I mean borrow your CD). :)
Ugh! That is one ugly kitty cat you have at the top of your blog. Bleck! (Poor thing must be cold!)
I don't have any CD's yet...and don't be cruel to the kitty! He didn't ask to be born this way!
Canadians are hard to hate. Also they invented the process to get insulin, saving the lives of (or at least postponing the death of) thousand of diabetics everywhere.
GO CANADA!!!
That was almost relevant. you're getting there!
That was completly relavent.
GO CANADA!!!!!!!!!!!!
*Waves the Canadian flag and sings "OH Canada" to the tune if Waltzing Matilda, in NOrwegian
Of course it was. Of course.
Post a Comment